Friday, October 9, 2009

Wed Oct 7 second day of class

Thursday was the second day of the children's book illustration class at the AIC.
I had a hard time focussing on the homework due to some freelance work and not being comfortable with the times and places I chose for my roughs.
Remember, We were to retell the story of Cinderella in a different time and place.
I had chosen to do Transylvania in the 1400's so I could do monsters, and Pangea at the time of the Dinosaurs/cave men.

I ended up dropping the Caveman idea, and changed it to birds in suburbia in a modern day setting.
I got those roughs worked up on Thursday morning.
Then I moved on to the Transylvania roughs. I struggled with them. Mostly trying to get an idea for the characters.
I did manage to get 1/2 of them done before leaving for class.
I finished them off in class.
We then broke up into groups of three and looked over each others roughs and made comments on them. Mostly trying to help point out any spots that might be confusing or ways to make a transition clearer.
After that we made an accordion book out of a single sheet of paper.
We now have to start working in it.
I decided to add end papers and two pieces of 1/2 inch plywood to serve a covers. There's no spine so that it can still accordian out. I'll show pics after I start to work in it.

The instructor ended the class by reading two different books and discussing them briefly.

Our homework for next class is to work up or roughs to a better state and then pick 3 to 5 of them to take to final art.

These are my roughs for Cinderellastein as I showed them on Thursday...
The cast - Cinderellastein, The evil Step Mummies or Step Monsters, I haven't decided for sure yet, Frankenstein as the Prince, and Dracula as his man servant.
1.Cinderellastein being bossed around by her Step Mummies.


2. More bossing around.


3. The invite to the party arrives.


4. No Cinderellastein you can't go!


5. The Fairy God Monster zaps Cinderellastein and fixes broom that was broken in 2.


6. Cinderellastein flys off to the party on her new broom.


7. She makes her entrance.


8. She dances with the prince while the Step Monsters fume in the background.


9. She has to go. Losing her foot in her hurry.


10. Find the girl who fits this foot.


11. It fits!


12.They live happily undead for ever after.


Now I have to start figuring out the look of each character before reworking the roughs and tightening them up.
I'll probably work out a couple of simple sets in Google Sketchup so I can play with the angles and add variety to the art so the pages don't always look the same.

Hopefully I'll be able to give this work the attention I want to.

No comments: